Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sue Lewis: CEO, Aunt, Friend, Mentor

My aunt Sue, has never been Auntie Sue or anything sucky like that. Just Sue. She has always been  a very close friend. Sue and I would spend hours playing a quiet game of cards or having a conversation that would last for hours and every once in a while a dance party in the middle of a family dinner.  As I grew older, I started to appreciate her as more then just a wonderful aunt and friend but also for the work that she does and how she does it. I want to share a conversation we had last summer, that continues to inspire me as I stumble my way through this program.




You won't be seeing Susan Lewis’ name on a ballot form anytime soon. In a world of instant gratification and quick fixes, Lewis holds close to the importance of patience, of active listening, not compromising your own values and staying the course.


A self-described "lifer" with the United Way, Sue started as a door-to-door canvasser at 18. Though reluctant to speak of her personal accomplishments, there have been many. By 28 she'd become the first female to lead a campaign in Canada. Associate Executive Director at 35. The first female Executive Director at 38.. Nearly 30 years later, despite growing the United Way from 26 to 80 employees and meeting fundraising goals just shy of 20 Million, Sue is still quick to downplay her accomplishments. She was, she remembers a "thoughtful and shy" child, not exactly typical descriptors of those destined to become "successful CEOs" but these have been hallmarks of her atypical leadership. Even her counterparts in other United Ways are more front and centre. Is she still shy? Sue pauses and says: "Outwardly? perhaps not but it shows in my leadership style. I lead easily from behind or beside. I have no need or desire to lead from out in front. Being able to lead from behind or beside brings out the strengths of people who are around me.".


Sue’s focus on values permeates her life: "It's important, early in life, to go inside yourself and identify what your strengths are, what's truly important to you, what values you want to embrace in how you work with others. Then be true to those things. . . I think that’s what I have been able to do."


Compassion, conviction, patience in solving complex problems, and the importance of creating connections between people are what Sue has stayed true to. Being rooted in values of truth and respect, is vital to Sue - be prepared to suspend judgement, ready to put aside our own organizational agendas to work towards a common vision. Sue speaks quietly,but with conviction, about the importance of finding new ways of listening to one another: "We must not only do different work but we must work together differently. Issues now are more complex, more inter-related. . .At one time organizations felt they could solve issues themselves. . . I am convinced that when trying to eliminate homelessness and reduce poverty, no one organization, no one sector can do it alone.” Authentic listening to one another, instead of attributing blame, is, she believes, key to lasting social transformation. "It's difficult. If it were simple we'd have done it already. We must question years of entrenched patterns of thinking


And when things get tough for her, personally, what helps her? "I jump in my car and go out to a community agency and spend 2 or 3 hours with the director and watch the kids in the programs and hear the wonderful success stories of lives that have been changed. When I’m driving back I know why I do what I do."


Within ten years Sue hopes to see a city without homelessness, where every child has the opportunity to be the best they can, where each neighbourhood is safe and welcoming. Overly- optimistic? Perhaps. But one thing you can be sure of is this: she will be working everyday to make it happen, even if no one ever hears about her doing it.
Sue and I at the lake

Sue, about 7 years old

Sue on her wedding day, in her ' after" outfit

Sue and I, at the lake this summer in a typical conversation

Sue, in her role at The United Way

No comments:

Post a Comment