Friday, September 27, 2013

30 as a Miracle

Today I turned 30 years old. At first sight I might seem quite a few years before the rest of my peers, many of them, married with children and with professional careers. I've known many people  fear turning 30, some even locked themselves alone to pretend it didn't happen. But to me, 30 is a miracle.

It's gotten me to thinking how impossible it seemed at some points in the last couple years to imagine having a normal birthday party, small and intimate, nothing out of the ordinary. I am so grateful to have had that tonight.

I've often said that my medical challenges have been a gift, and most people probably think I'm just trying to be strong or noble. Here's what I found

- that I only was really able to see the beauty in the world until I was told there was a good chance I would be blind.

- Even though my strokes impacted my speech. I now choose my words carefully, and when  I have moments  they come easily, I celebrate.

- I have only found the freedom and peace that comes from letting go of control when I was forced into a situation when I had no choice but to do so.

- I only believed in the good in people when a stranger saved my life.

- I have no fear because I was in a situation when death was near.

I'm lucky, not just because I have survived but because my challenges have made me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment