Thursday, October 3, 2013

Dogs dogs dogs

I cried watching this video. The simple act of a dog wagging ts tail to see me, leaning its head on my lap, has almost certainly saved my life, or at least my relationship with my parents. While I was waiting for a heart transplant I needed to move back in with my parents. Let me be clear, I love my parents, I even like my parents, I often choose to socialize them with them over people my own age. But, by this point I had been out of my childhood home for 5 years and I never thought moving back would be in the cards. I was stubbornly independent, and not used to explaining to anyone who I would be spending my time with or when, even if it was at 3 am. At the same time, my parents had recently experienced their daughter go into sudden heart failure, and were, understandably, a little protective. We survived it and we're better friends because of it. The highlight though, was always Finn. Finn is my parents Bernese Mountain Dog, and in my opinion, the handsomest dog ever. Every time I would take him for a walk I was humbled to know that every cute 30 year old who stopped us really did just want to pet Finn. Finn weighs as much as I do, and just knew when I was having a bad day. He'd lean in and wag his tail and I would always feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment