Saturday, October 12, 2013

Why Thanksgiving is My Favourite Holiday

I don't like pumpkin pie. I don't love turkey. I could give or take stuffing. I love Thanksgiving because of what it is. Giving thanks. I don't meant it as something cheesy. I mean giving thanks as a lifeboat. I mean giving thanks when it feels like I have nothing to be thankful for.  Giving thanks when I feel like a failure, when I feel like I can't hack it, when everything feels like a fight and I'm tired of fighting.

Gratefulness is easy when my life is going smoothly. It's necessary when it's not. My life was saved by a stranger. Entire teams of doctors have believed enough in me to keep fighting for me. My surgeon said " She's going to make it" when other people said " she's not worth it, she has no blood pressure." My family, my friends, my doctors and nurses fought for me everyday. They still do.

I have to believe in myself too. I have to respect myself too, even with a brain injury, even when I feel like I want to give up, giving thanks is my lifeboat.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely - however - I like the turkey part too.

    ReplyDelete